Monday 9 February 2009

Bein' friends

Friendship is something I'm not sure I completely understand. It's such a very complicated thing. You can have a friend that you see twice a week and barely have more than a 10 minute conversation but you can also have a friend that you live with, talk to all day and would probably continue to happily see on a daily basis for the rest of your life. They're completely different kinds of personal relationships, but they all fall under that same name of 'friend'.
English is an amusing language, at times. I don't know how well suited other languages are to punning and wordplay, but I like English for it. Despite that, we're just so very unequipped to express ourselves. Friend is a word with at least 5 distinct definitions, I'm sure, not all of which actually mean someone you like and enjoy being with. It's like love, love's just... hell, I don't think it's something you can express in words, let alone ONE. It's simultaneously meaningless and the most important word you could imagine in some situations. Insignificant and life changing.
I don't know why we're really compelled to find friends to hang around with. I could muse on the genetic reasons, the logical benefits to having a group of like minded individuals, but can you actually rationalise humanity in every aspect? If I believed everything that social science claimed, I'd probably only be attracted to blondes, be reasonably racist and think about sex constantly. I think friends need each other for different reasons, perhaps. Emotional support, a helping hand in trying times, things like that. Maybe deep down we're actually fairly lonely as a species and just want someone to talk to.
I'm pretty sure I know why I talk to the people I do. I naturally gravitate to people who can amuse me, especially if they can make me laugh until my stomach hurts. I'm kinda simple like that.
Y'know, maybe friendship doesn't have to serve a purpose. But even then it's complicated. In most friendships, you get that period where for some reason you stop being casual acquaintances and start being fairly solid friends, then best friends, then whatever happens after that, but nothing changes. You still talk about the same things on a regular basis, the only difference is that maybe you're a little more willing to open up. Maybe the strength of friendship is a trust thing.

Eh, I don't know. Maybe I'm overthinking this. Apologies for any lack of funny that's been going on, lately, I'm feeling less amusing and more... self critical, perhaps.
Might be time to get a philosophy degree.

No comments: