Monday 9 February 2009

Vision

Does everyone see things the same way? It's something that's bugged me for quite some time now. Like, does what I perceive as red look the same to someone else?
Everyone's got different ideas and standards about beauty. I like industrial environments, low lighting and open, airy kinds of places but I know that those don't appeal to everyone. Oceans and mountains and factories and such. Maybe it's just rocks, I really don't know. Point is, you can raise two people in the same area, give them the same upbringing and all but they'll have different ideas of what looks good.
But why?
I mean, we have fairly similar views on what is really BAD to look at. Untidy things, violent things, anything that upsets us, they trigger a similar emotional reaction for everyone, but things that are nice to look at, some people like them, some are indifferent. Even in people. You get folks that are attracted to people like Angelina Jolie or Beyonce Knowles and others, like myself, that can't see what the fuss is about.
If there is such a thing as reincarnation and if anyone could ever remember their previous lives, I can't help but think it'd help a lot in teaching us about ourselves. Being able to walk a mile in someone else's... um... eyes.
'kay, bad choice of expression.
You environment changes your perception of things quite a lot, I think. I've lived in the back of beyond all my life (kinda), so I see farmland, fields, trees, I'm used to it all but I'm absolutely fascinated by cities, bridges and the ocean. Feels like I could just sit and watch the sea rolling around for days. I wonder what would happen if one person was capable of personally experiencing EVERYTHING. Seeing every sight there was, experiencing all there was to do and be a part of. What'd stand out as the best, most life changing thing you could ever do? Would it be the same for someone else in that exact situation? I've a feeling it'd be something like seeing the Earth from space.
I suppose what we really crave is things that aren't quite familiar but which can still be experienced in the company of friendly people in relative comfort. It might be amazing to tramp through the Amazon rainforests, but I've a feeling it'd be so hard that you wouldn't really appreciate it. On the other hand, last Friday I drove my normal route home and got a glimpse of a snow covered field under and impossible blue, totally clear sky and it honestly blew my mind. It looked so ridiculously perfect, so a cliched movie representation of untouched, flawless snow covered countryside that my jaw dropped.
Sucked that I was driving and couldn't stop and stare for a while.
I don't know if I see the same things as other people. I rather suspect not, but it'd be so dull if we all appreciated everything on the same level. All I know for sure is that it only takes a little detail to make something mundane into something that you'll remember for a lifetime.
Maybe once I've seen a little more of this world, I'll be able to confirm some of this. A voyage of self discovery, perhaps. Shame that my first instinct on seeing something really amazing now has a fairly high percentage of being "gee, this'd make a great photo for facebook".
Bloody Internet.

No comments: